Monday 9 January 2017

Here's to the New Year!

Hello, 2017! Following two taxi rides, three buses, three trains and one (delayed) flight, I’m now in Kalajoki...

The journey home for Christmas was pretty adventurous too. I took the train to Helsinki where I spent the night, marvelling at all of the beautiful Christmas lights and decorations. My travel companion, Ahren, decided that we should also be vikings for the night in a nearby restaurant because who wouldn’t want to wear such glorious helmets while eating dinner...




This was the calm before the storm. After a 5am start on the Thursday, our flight was delayed by almost two hours due to fog around Gatwick Airport (typical British weather). This meant that I missed my train from London to Leicester and so I ended up waiting in England’s capital for a few hours in order to catch a bus home.

Nonetheless, it was all worth it in the end as I got to catch up with family and friends. We enjoyed a traditional Christmas dinner, some crackers, and lots of Finnish chocolate that I’d brought back with me. I even got my siblings to try Salmiakki which they liked! I was in utter disbelief...how could this be?!


(These are Christmas crackers, a British tradition. Two people pull on either end of the cracker and whoever wins the largest part gets a paper crown, a small toy and a very bad joke!)

Soon, it was time to return to Kalajoki and thus began the long journey back to Finland. After three days of travelling from one place to another, it’s safe to say that I’ll be happy not to see any form of public transportation for quite some time.


Today marks the first day back at school this year and our International Studies started off with a bang. Monday’s class explored the school and town in order to realise the extent to which Kalajoki is a multicultural place. They also created a display on three multicultural cities: London, New York, and Sydney...



What a fun start to the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment