Tuesday 21 February 2017

Finland - You're Amazing!

The whole world has heard about Finland's fantastic education system. Heck, that was one of the main reasons as to why I came over here in the first place. Many wonder what Finland's secret is. Last week, I think that I saw some of it...

On Thursday, the traditional "penkkarit" took place. I didn't quite know what to expect but I did hear the word "exercise" a few times. Little did I know that "exercise" meant crawling under various tables into the unknown (which is a bit of an understatement). Certainly, it's not everyday in the workplace that you stumble upon teletubbies dancing like there's no tomorrow...


...the cast of Narcos making it rain with money...


...flappers who wouldn't have looked out of place in the Great Gatsby...


...2 Broke Girls...


...and an abundance of superheroes among many other famous movie and television characters...





Behind every curtain, around every corner, and under every table there was yet another surreal scene which unfolded before our eyes. I've never seen anything like this in England. It's a fantastic example of how students can thrive when given freedom and responsibilities. The event also demonstrated the respect that staff and students have for each other here as they celebrated and played games together...












It also didn't hurt that, after the show, the students threw fistfuls of candy into the crowd. Yum!


This was not the only highlight of the week though. On Friday, the annual "wanhat" took place. Acting, dancing and all-round brilliance ensued. I must admit that I had to do a double-take when I saw all of the students looking so smart in their suits and ballgowns.





Overall last week was absolutely crazy, completely endearing, and a one-of-a-kind experience. It has only confirmed to me that Kalajoen lukio really is a special school.

No comments:

Post a Comment