Friday 7 February 2020

My take-aways of the current coronavirus case in China


After the International Studies II lesson on Feb 5th, Santeri asked me: what are your take-aways from the current coronavirus happenings in China?

I dazed for a moment because I didn’t expect some student come to ask me. I felt warm-hearted and answered: I feel bad and I don’t know what I can do to help. I feel confused and powerless. I don’t understand what is happening now there.

We left the classroom, and this question left in my mind.

Things are happening in China. Chinese and International media are reporting about it all day long. Confirmednumber, death numbers and recovered numbers are increasing every day. I don’t trust the numbers fully, but it tells something. In general, I have learned to not trust numbers, even news. But bad things will happen if the news is telling a fact. We all have paid too much because of ignoring the real news. In the meantime, to distinguish a real news from all kinds of news is Really! Really! Really! Difficult.

It is an extremely difficult day on Feb 6th. We first read news from all kinds of Chinese and foreign media that Doctor Li (the doctor who was silenced after warning of outbreak in his Wechat group) died from coronavirus. After a while, all kinds of media changed their statements that they were still trying to rescue him. Another 3 hours later, government hospital declared his death officially. People from my Chinese social media are extremely mad at all these dramatic happenings. People are so confused because they care, and they don’t know who and what to trust. People are limited in terms of gathering and distinguishing information. People are emotional. People are weak. I am one of the people.

But, put the emotions aside, what are my take-aways?

1, I am amazed by the executive ability of cadres at the basic level government. There was one coronavirus case confirmed in the city I came from. After the confirmation, his whereabouts in the past 10 days were published by city level government via Wechat (Wechat is a combination of FB, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram and so on). Shortly, a neat Excel sheet was shared among my family wechat group, which tells all the personal information of the 25 people who have contacted him in the village I came from. I was absolutely stunned to read that Excel sheet and I couldn’t even imagine who can be the person fill that Excel sheet such perfectly. I somehow assumed that it is a standard form which might be used all over the whole nation. There has been a standard procedure to follow if any case confirmed in basic level government (like my village) in such a short time across such a big country. Later on, we were told that about 70 people who have contacted that person have been sent to local hospitals for checking, observing and quarantining. Senior people are quarantined at their own house.



This morning, another person was confirmed, and he was one of the people who have contacted the first case. His whereabouts were quickly shared, and I believe all the other procedures will be executed accordingly.

2, Individuals are powerless, and we will only feel even more powerless when the uncertainty continues. It’s a rare opportunity for many families to stay at home together for such a long period. It is a big challenge as well: what to do??? The powerless feelings can be easily leaded to angry towards the government, useless towards oneself and anxious towards the future. Where do we get the belief that everything will turn good in the end? How to live in the present? What is the right thing to do at this moment as an individual? In fact, no! no! no! I am wrong here. If you are coming from a collectivism society, you are not supposed to only think about yourself, don’t you??? I am really curious what people in an individualism react towards this kind of happenings.

3, Wuhan is suffering. Nobody is any luckier. One YouTube video explains my thoughts very well. Based on that, I should stop self-pity (in Chinese we say “顾影自怜”: look at one’s image in the mirror and pity oneself).  

4, Media, social media especially in current society, is a double-edged sword. Our genes haven’t evolved to use them in a right way. Itse asiassa, I don’t know how to develop my thoughts around this topic at this moment. Allow me to leave it here.

I designed a role-play lesson plan regarding this topic with International Studies I students last Friday. William and I came to the classroom with lots of uncertainty because it is such a complicated and strange topic. But it turned out to be a very inspiring lesson to me. I am really grateful for the participation of the students. Thanks for being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment