Monday 12 September 2016

The Week I Tried Nahkiainen...

I’ve officially completed my first full week in Kalajoki – DUN, DUN...DUN! It pretty much went in the blink of an eye but make no mistake, a lot has happened.

One of my favourite aspects of the week was trying some traditional Finnish food. Let’s start with my newfound enemy: salmiakki. As I was handed the bag of salted liquorice, the students smiled sweetly. This was, however, their revenge for last week’s marmite escapades. Squirming at the bitter taste, I vowed never to eat these sweets again.


During another lesson, it was announced that I would be trying a different Finnish delicacy: nahkiainen. This is a type of lamprey (jawless fish) which caused several people to recoil in horror. I must admit that it wasn’t the prettiest food I’d ever seen - or the best-smelling. Nonetheless, I bit into the fish and...I LOVED IT! It melted in the mouth and I easily accepted seconds (much to the general disappointment of the class).


Another exciting moment of my week was receiving a bike! I hadn’t ridden a bike since I was fourteen but I assumed that I would be able to ride this one no problem. Wrong! After lurching into the curb, I realised that some practice would be necessary. So guess what I’ll be up to this week...

Besides mourning the loss of my cycling skills, I had the pleasure of attending a nearby farmers’ market on Saturday. There was a vast array of foods and goods on offer. Check out the awesome socks that I purchased (I’ve never felt so excited about a pair of socks...seriously...)





I also bought some of the most delicious biscuits from Kalajoen Lukio’s very own stall! The taste reminded me of shortbread (with a drizzle of white chocolate on top). I would show you a photo but I *may* have eaten them all – oops.

And there you have it, week one in Kalajoki: complete. Let’s see what my second week in this wonderful little town has to offer...


No comments:

Post a Comment